Today, when reading an article at The Age “Chaouk matriarch wants bloody clan war to end, court told“. I recall that a similar report referring to her husband as patriarch. It is interesting to looking at patri- and matri-
- patri- patro- patr- of father
- matri- matro- matr- of mother
A few words can be paired for matri- and patri-
- matricide one who killed one’s mother
- patricide one who killed one’s father
- matriarch A woman who rules a family, clan, or tribe.
- patriarch A man who rules a family, clan, or tribe.
- matriclinous, Having predominantly maternal hereditary traits.
- patriclinous Having inherited characteristics that more closely resemble the father’s side than the mother’s side.
Of course, not all words can be paired, for instance
matrimony The act or state of being married; marriage.
patriot One who loves, supports, and defends one’s country.